Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill Review
It is the wish of every home owner to have not only a grill but that one which can give you that specific taste to your food. Many options exist in today’s market. The majority of these can be found at the Big Stores. Now, whenever you go to these stores you essentially have to choose based on the price, the purported durability from the descriptions, appearance and the information gathered to describe it.
Most of the time we get it wrong hence the need for this information. Do you love that particular flavor of food from that charcoal grill? Then Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill is an option you should narrow into.
The Original Weber Kettle has been a charcoal-grilling staple for decades. It is designed to maximize airflow and heat retention, which allows outdoor chefs to cook foods to perfection. This premium 22 inch Charcoal Grill in black offers a 363 sq. in. cooking platform on which to absorb the unsurpassed flavor infusion that only a briquette fire can provide.
A hinged plated-steel cooking grate allows you to easily maneuver coals for direct or indirect cooking without lifting up the rack, while a built-in thermometer keeps you on-point for heat management. After you’ve savored a delectable meal, simply swivel the three damper blades in the kettle basin to funnel coal dust into the removable ash catcher.
Featuring 363 Square-Inch of cooking space, the Weber 14401001 Kettle Grill consists of a heavy-gauge porcelain-enameled lid and bowl for durability and long grill life. The grill features a factory assembled stainless steel One-Touch cleaning system, a hinged cooking grate and a removable high-capacity ash catcher to make indirect grilling easier.
The built-in lid thermometer allows you to monitor your grill’s temperature and the bowl handle includes an integrated tool hook for easy and convenient storage. Lid handle features a heat shield for comfort and legs have a spring clip/push pin system for easy assembly.
Overtime there has been improvements on this Charcoal grill which we’ve seen from previous models.
- Handle with shield. This is a great improvement. The old handle had two flaws. It got hot (this one doesn’t) and it would rust where it was welded to the kettle lid. This lid has 2 holes and the handle is attached by two bolts. Time will tell, but we think this will solve the rust problem.
- Legs attach with a spring loaded “push pin”. A big complaint with the old design was the fear that the legs would come out when trying to move a hot grill. It felt that way because the legs were wobbly. They still are, but the tab gives you peace of mind that they will stay put regardless. The old legs just slid in and were held by friction.
- The hook to hang the lid on the kettle is still under the top vent, so it’s a little bit different since the handle is turned differently in relation to it. Gives it a “weird” feel for those of us that are used to the old way.
- The stamped cutouts on the ash catcher are improved. Before, you knew which way you had to turn it to open or close the vents, but what you realized was that ‘open’ and ‘closed’ really were closer together than you would have thought. This is more accurately portrayed. The markings are closer together with a “trash” cutout on the far side to show that moving it that far is only necessary to help clean the grill.
What we liked
- The assembly instructions are visual only, no words. Very clear and well done. Very easy only requiring a screwdriver and hammer. Total time, about an hour is enough for one person to complete the assembly with no stress to achieve a solid item.
- The new side handle design is a very welcome improvement with heat resistant feature. One on each side.
- The top handle is massively improved over the old wood piece. The ash catcher and the interior blades to open and close the grill bottom are brilliantly designed and effortless to install. The blades inside are very well fitted.
- Easy enough to clean and worked well enough.
- Easy to assemble
- It’s a very sturdy & solid grill.
- First off, there are no hinges to rust, and the grill itself is very lightweight, easy to move into the center of your yard where u can always grill (away from the house.
- The thermometer is totally replaceable from Weber, as is the grill.
What we didn’t like
- While you’d be hard pressed to find a better grill, it’s only good as a smoker. It’s awesome as a tool that can do both.
We like that taste and smell of food from a charcoal grills and we believe you will also, more and most importantly because of the cost. It is less expensive to get a nice charcoal grill like this one than to get an equally nice propane grill. The entry cost into grilling is more reasonable with a charcoal grill.
To get the best out of this grill there are some accessories which should accompany it: a chimney starter, grilling tools like tongs, fork, etc., a steel brush to clean the grates, the Weber Fire starter cubes, and some heavy duty mitts to protect your hands and forearms while grilling are among the things you should think of for optimum result from Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill.
The Weber 14401001 is a good grill for direct grilling but it has it limits as it cannot reduce heat without prior planning. Stoke up a Weber chimney and cook some steaks and your result will be great. Chicken needs to be offset on a cooler side after browning on the hot coals. It stands out as one of the finest budget charcoal grills which you ought to have in your home.
The Weber Original Kettle Grill consists of a heavy-gauge porcelain-enameled lid and bowl for durability and long grill life.
- Easy enough to clean and worked well enough
- Easy to assemble
- It's a very sturdy & solid grill
- While you'd be hard pressed to find a better grill, it's only good as a smoker